Non Greasy Homemade moisturizer Cream

17 May

This is the best cream I have ever made.

It is light, silky, soothing & absorbs into your skin in minutes leaving it soft & supple & not greasy at all.

I hate greasy, waxy home made creams that coat you in a thick, waxy oil slick that seems to get rubbed off onto everything & doesn’t absorb into your skin.

non-greasy-hand-&-body-moisturiser

This cream is the antithesis of that – it is perfection in a jar. It is just as good, if not better than any fancy lotion or cream you currently buy – just without the chemical cocktail.

It is soothing with Aloe Vera & nourishing with Sweet Almond, Coconut & Vitamin E oils – and it smells divine with its slightly tropical citrus fragrance.

This cream has no nasties & works great on all the families skin, from nappy rash to dry old elbows we slather this cream on everything & are rewarded with soft, smooth, sweet-smelling skin.

This cream will replace all of those nasty store brought creams that lurk in your bathroom cabinet that are filled with toxic chemicals, preservatives & synthetic fillers.

It is light in texture & can be used as a hand, body & facial moisturizer.

So what are you waiting for, go make some.

Non Greasy Homemade Moisturizer Cream a’la Mama Going Natural

You will need

• 3/4 c of Aloe Vera Juice
  • 1/8 c of beeswax
  • 1/4 c of Sweet Almond oil
  • 2 T Coconut oil
  • 1/2 t Vitamin E oil
  • 6 drops Sweet Orange essential oil
  • 2 drops Lemon essential oil

Sterilise your jars or containers with boiling water & set aside.

Put a large saucepan of water onto boil. In a glass jar mix the bee’s wax, coconut & sweet almond oil & put this into your saucepan of water to heat so that it can melt. In another glass jar pour in your aloe vera & allow this to also heat up slightly in the saucepan of water.

Once your wax has melted into your oils take both jars out of the hot water. Gently pour your heated aloe vera juice into your melted wax & oil mix & stir to combine. If you have a blender or stick blender this cream will combine so much easier. As the mix starts to cool blend it on a low setting (or vigorously beat with a fork!) until the cream comes together & there is no separation of oils & liquids.

Once cream is lukewarm add your essential oils & vitamin E oil & keep stirring until completely cool.

Pour your cream into your sterilised jars & store in the refrigerator.

I find it best to leave a small 20ml jar of cream out on the bathroom bench & to keep a large jar of cream in the refrigerator, to top up from as we use it. This way I ensure we don’t have any spoilage & we don’t have to put any preservatives in our cream – keeping it nasties free 🙂

Trust me this cream is well worth the effort.

NOTE: This cream may separate from time to time, making a light liquid based lotion without an emulsifying agent can be a tricky business. I have found that using a stick blender with the whisk attachment on & whisking until the cream is cool prevents this. Readers who have used Aloe Vera gel & not juice have had trouble with splitting – I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment. If you have trouble making the cream & getting it not to separate you can adjust the recipe & use either all Emulsifying wax or 50:50 Emulsifying wax & beeswax for a more natural option. If the cream separates some readers have been able to gently re-heat it & re-beat it, beating until its cool to re-combine the lotion. Good Luck & enjoy your lotion making!!

Mama-going-natural-signature

57 Responses to “Non Greasy Homemade moisturizer Cream”

1. Toula June 7, 2013 at 10:32 am #

Could you please give us the recipe in grammars?

• mamagoingnatural June 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Sure I will make it in grams next time & update the post.

• Liz May 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm #

That would be very welcome, thanks mamagn.

2. Alison June 27, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Can I substitute the aloe vera juice with something else?

• mamagoingnatural June 29, 2013 at 5:20 am #

You sure can, you could use water or depending on the type of lotion you want to create, rose water, lavender water, witch hazel etc. You could even use chammomile or another herb if you steep a teabag (or fresh herbs) in hot water & then use the tea you have brewed as the liquid component. Try to use as pure a water as you can, boil it or get it from a filter etc.

3. Jane August 6, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Hi there, when you say “T”, do you mean tablespoon or tea spoon? And how many mls in an Aussie cup or tablespoon or teaspoon? 🙂

• mamagoingnatural August 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Hi, T is Tablespoon, our cup is 250ml, our tablespoon is 20ml & our teaspoon is 5ml.
      Hope this helps 🙂

4. Carol Mason August 7, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

I used aloe vera gel instead of aloe vera juice. I can’t seem to get it to blend; it wants to separate. Can it be fixed or should I start over with juice?

• mamagoingnatural August 7, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

If it has seperated you can try vigorously blending it to get it to re-combine or it may be a case of starting over. E wax will make it easier to emulsify & stay combined if you use gel.

• mamagoingnatural August 7, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Good luck 🙂 if it’s a total loss & won’t beat back together you can try re-melting it – but thats a long shot. You can still use it seperated as an oil – so its not a total loss 🙂

5. Lilianna August 9, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Hi, I just tryed this. I love the ingrediences, but it is still a little to oily for my skin.
    I want this moisturizer to work for me!!!
    What can I add to brake the oiliness?

6. Lilianna August 9, 2013 at 7:13 am #

And another thing. What do I do wrong, that I don’t get this creamy white compound?

7. Brian September 8, 2013 at 4:04 am #

No matter what I do I can’t get the aloe vera juice to not separate from the other ingredients
    I’ve followed the recipe to the letter and it still separates

8. Lindsay R. September 9, 2013 at 5:10 am #

I’ve tried unsuccessfully 4 times to make a lotion using beeswax; it separated every time. I found out that beeswax is not an emulsifier, but then I found your recipe and tried using a simplified version, so if I was unsuccessful again, I wouldn’t waste as much. I used 1 c. aloe vera gel, 1/2 c. grapeseed oil, and 3/4 oz. beeswax. I heated the gel separate from the oil and wax. I let both get to about 70C before mixing with a stick blender. I added the gel to the oils slowly and at first it seemed fine but I let it sit for a moment and it separated. I am so frustrated!! Any advice? Wrong temperature? How long am I supposed to blend? I’m just trying to figure out what I did wrong. Thanks in advance!

• Dawn September 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

Not to sound rude, but if you had followed the recipe to the letter, you would have noticed she mentioned to use aloe ‘juice’ and not the gel. It worked great for me, just make sure that you start whipping it just as it gets to room temp and don’t stop until it is completely cool and creamy.

9. lesley Tate September 23, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Hi, wonderful easy recipe, thank you. Im just wondering how long the cream lasts in the fridge ? Also can you use this on your face ? Im new to the homemade revolution and don’t use face cream much either due to reactions to chemicals 🙂

• mamagoingnatural September 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Mine gets used up in about 6 weeks, so I know it lasts that long.
      I use it all over – body & face. You can add vitamin e oil & essential oils of rosemary & lavender to try to prolong the life of this lotion. Some people have had a problem with this lotion not mixing. I recommend stick blending it as it cools to get it to combine without any troubles. Good Luck & happy cream making 🙂

• lesley Tate September 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Thank you so much. Once i get the ingredients ( things like this in Ireland are so expensive ) i can’t wait to use this on me and my 13 mnths old for his nappy rash. It will save me a fortune even with the initial outlay. Im so excited that I found you 🙂

• mamagoingnatural September 24, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Yay, best of luck with it all! In the meantime you could make a hack recipe replacing the aloe Vera with boiled or purified water & just use the best oil you can source from your supermarket or health food store. It won’t be quite as good but it would be a start 🙂

10. sleekydtoll September 23, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

I found ur stuff very nice n wld try to make it as well.cus av bought lots of moisturiser n none is rly working for me.pls am in nigeria,n I dnt kno how to get all ds ingredients.pls I wld rly apreciate if u cn hep me out on how to get ds stuffs so to make it for mysef as well.waiting for ur response

11. Narineh October 16, 2013 at 2:27 am #

Hello,

For Aloe Vera juice, I have the concentrate, can I use that?

• mamagoingnatural October 16, 2013 at 3:45 am #

Sure,I’d just mix it with a little water to dilute it 🙂

12. Kiru November 11, 2013 at 5:20 am #

Would you suggest making our own sweet orange essential oil and lemon oil or purchasing it? I know the question sounds dumb.. I’m really sick of using the products with chemicals nd preservatives and I’m pretty sure that the oils I find at the stores would have preservatives in them. Or is it ok to purchase the oils ? Thanks in advance

• mamagoingnatural November 11, 2013 at 5:47 am #

Hi, you could definetly try making your own, I haven’t tried myself.
      To my knowledge with your essential oils there are not really any preservatives in pure essential oils. The main thing you need to look at is the extraction method as some oils are chemically extracted. You can buy organic essential oils which may be an easier option 🙂

• Narineh November 11, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Hi Kiru,

If I may answer your question I would be delighted.
        Just like you I was sick of using oils from the stores that still carried chemicals in them but I found this one company that their essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. What that means is this: CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade ® essential oils are guaranteed to be pure, natural, and free of synthetic compounds or contaminates. dōTERRA essential oils are subjected to rigorous mass spectrometry and gas chromatography testing to ensure extract composition and activity. dōTERRA essential oils represent the safest and most beneficial essential oils available today. As a matter of fact their essential oilsare so pure that you can eat and cook with their oils. Check them out. Here is their website: http://www.doterra.com/us/

If you have questions please let me know. My personal email address is ndlady79031@sbcglobal.net.

Narineh

• mamagoingnatural November 11, 2013 at 6:07 am #

I have used some Doterra oils before, they are good, but not your only option.
        Be sure to do your research & check the certification of all claims with any company that you choose to use 🙂
        Thanks for sharing your expertise Narineh 🙂

• Kiru November 11, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Narineh and kailah.. Thanks for the input 🙂 I’m soon going to try making this cream. Please do bear with me if I come upon anymore questions on how to do.. Kailah, you have explained it so well, but this slow brain of mine would come-up with umpteen questions.

• mamagoingnatural November 11, 2013 at 6:35 am #

No problems at all 🙂 ask away?

• Kiru November 11, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Hi again.. Finally, I have collected all the materials needed with one exception.. I have an aloe Vera plant growing at my home. Peeled off the greens and the yellow layer .. All I find is a gel like substance underneath .. Do I mix that with water to get the juice? If so, what is the ration I should use for the mixture? Help please

• Kiru November 11, 2013 at 8:35 am #

And I do not own a stick blender.. Can I perhaps use a electronic mixer to blend them?

• mamagoingnatural November 11, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Mixer should do just fine 🙂

• mamagoingnatural November 11, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Hi, people do blend the aloe Vera up & then strain it. I have never tried to make my own before so I am not much help sorry 😦 but it should be like a liquid not a gel, a gel may make the mixture seize.

13. Kiru November 18, 2013 at 7:24 am #

How much is 1/8 cup of beeswax? Could u perhaps convert that for me in grams please?

• mamagoingnatural November 20, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Sorry I am not actually sure & don’t need to currently make a batch of this cream but next time I do I will check the weight of the beeswax 🙂

14. Ellaine April 24, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Hi, I’ve just made your recipe. 👌
    I left out the beeswax as I wanted a more liquid lotion and beeswax firms it up; great for a jar but not so good to squeeze out of a bottle. I used (avg) Aloe Vera Gel (99.9% pure) which is really thick. I changed the thickness of the avg by using distiller orange flower water until I had the consistency I wanted. I warmed this through as you said and in a separate pan warmed the oils, I used avocado, rosehip and a blend of my own maceration. I used an electric hand blender and just treated it like making homemade mayo; I drizzled the warmed oil into the warmed Avg slowly (didn’t need to be so hot as no beeswax to melt down) and they blended perfectly. I then added 2 capsules of vitamin E, 4 drops of carrot seed essential oil (great antioxidant) 4 drops of lavender eo (great preservative) and four drops of grapefruit eo. It smells so natural and surprisingly I can still smell the coconut oil. Once I had decanted it into my recycled lotion bottles I slathered the remains all over myself to try it out and it is beautiful.
    To help those who had trouble blending I think that making sure the Aloe Vera gel was thoroughly blended/ mixed within itself before you begin adding the oils as it can be a bit kind of rubbery and also, making sure that the avg and the oil are at about the same temperature may help to blend it together more easily.
    I have made many kinds of salves which are more solid and much greasier that your recipe. This is a great recipe which I will be using as a base for my female friends and family as it makes a lovely gift.
    Thank you so much for a great idea and for sharing it.

• mamagoingnatural April 27, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

This sounds like a great variation of our lotion! I will have to try it 🙂

15. Carol April 27, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Can you squeeze lemon juice into this lotion? If so, how much would you recommend? I would like to use it for its lightening and brightening factors.

• mamagoingnatural April 27, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

I don’t see why not, I would think you wouldnt want to add too much in case it stings your skin, I would try a teaspoon to a tablespoon to begin with.

16. Liz May 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

I used to be an aromatherapist and miss my blending days! This recipe is great, as it’s how I think it should be done – not complex – just some simple steps & techniques and you can swap & mix different essential oils to get something you find heavenly. There are so many complex recipes out there & who has the time or energy for them, when you live a really busy life with all it’s pressures?! Thanks for sharing.

17. Emily June 15, 2015 at 12:26 am #

I’ve tried to make this moisturizer twice now – including today – and have to trash it yet again. It turns into a big soupy mess for me and doesn’t cream up at all. I even follow everything to a T. On a positive note there are parts of this recipe I use for a body butter that seems to turn out better for me.

• mamagoingnatural September 2, 2015 at 2:54 am #

Moisturiser making is crazy business 🙂 Try tweaking the recipe to get it to work for you!

18. Christina Chad-Whitehead July 1, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

Does the “T” stand for teaspoon or tablespoon? Thanks!

19. Chelsea July 8, 2015 at 10:49 am #

Thanks for this recipe. I just made this lotion today and have some comments: (1) I agree with one of the other commenters that it’s still a little too greasy for me (at least for my face- for body I dont mind), then again I didnt have sweet almond oil so I used apricot seed oil, so maybe that played a part. (2) I also had trouble with getting the aloe vera juice to completely combine with the oil/wax mixture. After mixing on high speed for a while I tipped the jar and let the excess juice run out, then continued whipping. I had to repeat this process several times. Finally, I ended up with a *pretty* emulsified lotion (not 100%, but I dont mind since Im the only one who will be using it), but I would estimate I ended up with about 1/2 a cup of the original aloe vera juice poured out. This may of course play a part in why I find the lotion a little too greasy. If all the aloe vera juice was in there Im sure it would counter the greasy-ness of the oils.

Anyway, I may try again in the next few days with a different mixture of oils- maybe cut the almond with jojoba to get it a little lighter. All in all its a pretty decent recipe that I’ll tweak until I get it right for me. You cant find aloe vera gel where I live so I appreciate that this one is made with the juice, which I can find. So thanks again : )

• mamagoingnatural September 2, 2015 at 2:58 am #

I have found that making it with a stick blender or in an actual blender helps to keep the lotion emulsified. Also making sure your water & oil/wax are at the same temperature before combining seems to help too 🙂 Best of luck

20. shaz jav August 20, 2015 at 11:54 am #

Hi, I tried this recipe without the beeswax. My mixture of aloe juice and oil mixture is as runny as water. This is my first time making anything like this at home. Please tell me where am I going wrong. I made the aloe juice using the gel I extracted from the plant at home. Any help would be welcome 🙂

• mamagoingnatural September 2, 2015 at 3:01 am #

The wax emulsifies & thickens the lotion, without it you have kind of made salad dressing (vinegarette) for the body 🙂 You must use wax or even a butter (like shea or cocoa etc) to thicken & combine the oils & liquids so that they create a lotion. But with homemade gel your lotion will still be a super treat for the skin 🙂

21. Yvonne February 14, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

Thank you for this recipe! This is my first attempt at DIY beauty products and it turned out really good. It came out a little more solid than I’d like – should I try with less bees wax next time to get it creamier? Or is it possible I overdid it with the stick blender? I blended until it had cooled, rather past the point of mixed.

Based on my success with the moisturizer, I took a leap and ordered your foundation. I’m really excited to try it out 🙂

• mamagoingnatural February 15, 2016 at 3:45 am #

You can try slightly less beeswax next time to get a lighter lotion 🙂 so glad it worked out for you 🙂 we have posted your foundation & samples, enjoy

22. TaraLee Natural Beauty March 18, 2016 at 5:57 pm #

Thank you so much for this recipe. I am trying it out now and I will let you know how it comes out for me. 😀 I have made body butter homemade but never a cream lotion. so this is just what i’m looking for

23. Jess October 19, 2016 at 1:58 pm #

I made this today for the first time, and it’s brilliant. I did have to reblend it with the stick blender because I stopped when it was only luke warm and it separated(so those of you having trouble that might be the issue, just keep blending! :D) I made a set of homemade cosmetics for myself, an exfoliator, cucumber toner and this cream lotion. I’m new to the homemade game but your recipe (and those others) are getting me very excited for what I can do next. Thank you so much for this recipe, will definitely be recommending to friends.

I only have one question. You said it lasts 6 weeks in the fridge, and idea on how long it lasts unrefrigerated?

• mamagoingnatural October 20, 2016 at 1:58 am #

It depends on your climate the warmer it is the quicker it will grow mould etc. I keep a small amount in the bathroom in a little pump pot (no bacteria introduction from fingers this way) & refill it once a week, so I know it lasts a week ok. It will last better in a cool, dry cupboard away from direct sunlight. Hope this helps & good on you for making all your own skincare. I will be putting an exfoliation grains recipe up soon. It is my new go to face cleanser, I am in love with it, so keep an eye out for that 😊

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Top 10 Best Homemade Moisturizers - Natural and Healthy Living - February 28, 2014

[…] Non Greasy Homemade Moisturizer Cream by mamagoingnatural […]

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s